Saturday, February 27, 2021

Diary of a Houndsman: Staying away from the deer hunters 10-25-20/10-29-20


 Dear Ben,

10/25/21

So many deer hunters up in the better country I had to come out in this windy desert. I really don't mind that much.. it is remote out here and I like that ... and lions do pass through from time to time .. I've trailed them and caught 2 out here. 

I brought the terrorists today... Booger, Al, Uno, Timmy, Rusty, Hawk, Dan and the pup (a new dog out of different blood lines).. I'm riding Agnes and packing Ruth... Ruth was being a little jumpy and fresh to start with but ended up hanging on the end of the lead rope by the time we got back to the truck.

We went on through a saddle and those hounds started trailing ... it didn't look right but I let them go for a while. I knew by the way they were traveling and where they were going I was going to be able to find a track at some point. Sure enough I got to spot and found a big old buck track ... they were trailing a mule deer buck lol.. I did scold them for that and they knew it wasn't something they weren't supposed to be trailing.

So I circles around the mountain and headed back to the truck .. wind sand and trashy hounds .. it was a good day lol ...

10/29/21

Still Staying away from deer hunters I went to a little mountain range West of where I was before. This is desert big horn sheep range. There is a lot of game in this little range but I have never caught a lion here and I have only trailed here a couple of times. I took the terrorists again because I taken ladies out the day before and ran a scent drag with them .. (I didn't film it).

Riding Agnes and packing Ruth again ... 

We got up there and there was a plane flying around and a helicopter. I believe they were counting bighorn sheep. Bad filming day due to my batteries taking a crap on my gopro .. I did see a big old mule deer buck jump up and the hounds didn't even offer to chase him .. guess they remembered last time lol.

We did have a good coyote race when were almost back to the truck .. Al is the one that really ran him the rest didn't go far.. they got some electricity for that one. 

I kinda got back early and decided I would try to call in a coyote .. but nothing came it .. oh well .. 

Thanks Ben and I will leave you with another quote:

“How does it help…to make troubles heavier by bemoaning them?” – Seneca 

Brett Vaughn

"Born 100 Years Too late"


No comments:

Post a Comment