Saturday, February 27, 2021

Diary of a Houndsman: Cutting For Sign 10-23-20

10/23/20

 Dear Ben,

Had to leave an old friend behind today, I did love that old truck .. bought it new in 2002 and put over 300,000 miles on it we went a lot of places. But after that many miles and the transmission going out in it (for the 3rd time) I just can't see spending the money to get it fixed. Have you ever became attached to and inanimate object? 

Today I am riding Big Agnes and packing Jet Johnson .. trying to get into the habit of taking a pack animal.. as far as hounds I'm taking the Ladies ... Pea, Sissy, Jazz, Clara, Iris,Sheila and of course Fat Lori lol.. not sure what I'm going to do with that hound.

I'm heading out to a place close to home again. Traveling any further into better country just doesn't seem possible at this time. Work, family and elk and deer hunters keep me closer to the house. I'm not complaining I do get to get out, and there are lions out here from time to time. 

On this trip I was just trying to cut through the country and see if I could find any sign of a lion being in here. First thing coming out of the big canyon Pea started trailing .. the others joined in but they didn't go far... I believe that when they do this we are either trailing a bobcat or a fox .. hard to get either one caught in this country but I rarely scold the hounds for it. 

We dropped down into this rough canyon .. the hounds were getting some scent ..not enough to really open up and bark on it but flagging (tail wags) .. and sorry I didn't film much of it .. we went on down the canyon and got into a pretty rough spot .. I don't take any chances being that I am by myself and I always say don't be too proud get off and lead .. it only takes one mistake and on this slick rock it can happen before you know it. There was a pool of water in the bottom of this canyon .. dogs all got a drink and then started trailing out .. again my gopro wasn't working right and I didn't film it .. sorry. Anyway they hit a little ole game trail and went around into the next canyon and through a fence. Most of the fences in this country are in pretty bad shape so I followed the fence on up for a while and sure enough found a place where it was down. I stepped Agnes and Jet across it and got over to the hounds and they were all balled up not being able to move the track. It sure got hot early so I got my water bags off of Jet and gave them all another drink of water. We weren't too far from where I think a lion that I was trailing last year spent some time in a cave hole so I decided just call the hounds on and go over and check it out. It wasn't that far of a ride but when we got there we couldn't find any sign that a lion had been in there. 

From there we turned down and rode over to where those ponds were that I had seen from on top. Got the dogs watered again and then made the long ride back to the truck.

I'm always thinking on the ride back how nice it would be just to set up a camp and stay right there ... 

Maybe one of these days. 

Thank you Ben and until next time I will leave you with a meditation from Marcus Aurelius....   

“Think of the life you have lived until now as over and, as a dead man, see what’s left as a bonus and live it according to Nature. Love the hand that fate deals you and play it as your own, for what could be more fitting?” – 

Brett Vaughn
"Born 100 Years Too late"

No comments:

Post a Comment